Arrive at the base camp. If arriving on the day before, guests will be accommodated at Ruboni community camp or any other lodge within a short distance from the park gate. This is the best day to take a briefing and check your trekking packing list. You can also choose to acclimatize by taking some of the community walks or in the evening you can attend the cultural festival to get to know the local people more.
Everything must be together before dinner. Those arriving on the same day of the trek will need to arrive by 8:00 am on the trekking day, to be able to brief them and check their luggage in time. the trek starts by 9:00am
Day 1: From the base Camp to Lake Mahoma Camp
The first trekking day starts from (1615m) at the base camp to (2990m) Today’s night camping will be at Lake Mahoma. Lake Mahoma is the largest and most accessible of the over–twenty lakes in the Rwenzori Mountains.
The common vegetation on today’s trail is bamboo sparse trees and some mountain shrubs. The trail will sometimes lead you through the mountain elephant tracks. Look out for the fresh foot marks of this large mammal. Mountain elephants are known to be shy and more aggressive. This makes it hard to find. Lucky guests have sometimes spotted them at a distance as they take a drink from the hot springs. As you near the lake you will find some unique alpine vegetation such as the giant Lobelia, tussocks, and everlasting flowers.
Day 2: Lake Mahoma Camp to the base camp
On this day, you will complete the Mahoma trail trek ending at the park gate to the base camp. With a ranger, the morning is a good time to take a short walk that gives you an opportunity to take some pictures of the scenic lake views. Take the suggestion of the ranger which walk will be the best based on his knowledge of the area. Return to breakfast and then descend through the forest zone with a mix of bamboo, heather, and the lichen handing off trees like “old man’s beard”, from Lake Mahoma to omukakiza camp. At this camp at (2,977m.) you will have some lunch then proceed to the park gate where the trek ends, and head to Ruboni community camp for dinner and overnight.
Price: 330$ (1 person going)
- Experienced English speaking mountain guide
- Park entrance fees and park ranger fees
- Full board accommodation on the mountain camps
- All charges and taxes on park activities done
- Mountain porters and guide
- Energy (gas or charcoal in the mountains)
- Private chef /catering equipment /Tent-(camping option)
- Visa fees (if required) require an online visa application and prior approval (EA visa at 100$)
- All bar drinks and extras at the hotels
- Insurance cover.
- Air ticket
- accommodation and meals at the base camp
- All Optional Activities and activities of personal interest not on the itinerary