For those seeking to explore Mount Elgon, we introduce to you Bluestar homestay.
Blue star homestay is located in a village setting of Sipi falls, in the foothills of Mount Elgon National park. The family has opened its doors to overnight guests and is willing to show you around mount Elgon from the base to the high peaks. The home offers three rooms with a capacity of accommodating up to six people a night. The family has a small backyard farm with goat’s cows and chicken. The crops grown include bananas, vegetables, and coffee from which you will be shown how to farm, harvest, and roast to prepare the coffee drink. From the farm, the family makes their own coffee so that guests can be treated to a fresh organic cup of coffee at any time.
Why you must stay here
Moses masai, your host is a very experienced loca guide in the area. he is also a key member of the local guides association. He will be able to show you the entire mount elgon on the mountain treks to the peaks and on the community tours of the area including the water falls tours, coffee experience, sundowner and others.
The homestay is safe for your property during your stay. it is privately surrounded by a wooden fence with a lockable gate. guests can park their cars inside the gate. The home is lit by hydropower, connected to running water and wireless Television. Guests can charge their gadgets within their rooms and have the liberty to watch TV news or sports in the living room on request.
It is located in sipi area, a short distance from the starting point of all sipi falls activities; the water falls walk, the rock-climbing and abseiling points, the sundowner tours and the local trading center where you cans wish to do some shopping or meet the local people.
It is a very welcoming and hospitable family. They will show you how to do everything in their home including cooking and farming. this family gives you an opportunity to experience the local life as an insider, in a none touristy way.
The price for the accommodation service is very low compared to other accommodation facilities in the area, yet the services are quite reliable.
Activities and short excursions you can do during your stay
Sipi area short trip can be added on a trip to the longer Kidepo Valley National park safari, Mount Elgon multiday trek to the peaks, or can be taken independently by those who want to unwind for a short while. In each case, Bluestar homestay is a perfect base. The following activities are available during your stay;
- The coffee-making experience,
- Rock climbing and abseiling on Sipi falls,
- Sipi falls walk and the village cultural experiences.
- Mount Elgon National park trekking trips
Key activity highlights
- Harvesting and roasting coffee to make a coffee drink at home
- Learning the local way of life from the family members
- Working on the farm with the family or walking around the village neighborhood.
- It is a perfect fusion of cultures where knowledge is exchanged about the global community during the guests’ stay.
- the enterprise generates income for the local family, hence enabling them to meet their basic needs sustainably from tourism
- it boosts the disposable income of the family and hence creating a market for the local produce and services during the guest stay
- Moses and other community guides get employment from the activities that guests participate in.
- the products add value to Mount Elgon’s experience hence increasing the opportunities of the park generating conservation revenues.
What to bring:
- Walking shoes
- Layers and waterproof / Wind jacket (weather is changeable)
- Insect repellent
- Hat and sun cream
- Cash for tips and gift purchases
- Drinks and snacks can be purchased at the area
- Binoculars and camera (optional)
- Plastic bag to protect cameras etc.
- A walking stick will be provided at the starting point.